[thelist] how high constitutes troublesome load average.

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Thu Oct 8 18:27:56 CDT 2009

Robert Lee wrote:

> It depends upon the number of CPU cores on the machine.
>
> For the 15 minute average (the far right number), you don't want to
> see much
> more than .7 for each core on the machine, and anything above 1 per
> core is
> reason for concern.
> For a Dual Quad Core machine (8 CPU's) you'd probably like to see it stay
> below 6, but lower would be nicer. Of course this doesn't help much if you
> don't know how many processor(s) the shared hosting box has.
>
> HTH,
> Rob
>
> I have a couple sites on a shared hosting server which commonly runs a
> little slow in my opinion and if I check I see what I think is high load
> average, but which is probably somewhat relative. With data driven
> sites (CMS) I tend to think performance is more critical than with
> static, HTML sites. But anyway, how high is unreasonal?
>
> 06:55:01 up 51 days, 9:15, 2 users, load average: 2.50, 3.33, 4.18
> 08:05:02 up 51 days, 10:25, 2 users, load average: 10.13, 10.50, 8.81
> 08:30:02 up 51 days, 10:50, 1 user, load average: 19.05, 12.61, 9.62
> 11:32:01 up 51 days, 13:52, 2 users, load average: 35.37, 26.39, 17.53
>
> -Bob

Thx - keep in mind hardware is not a core skill of mine.  Logged into
cPanel here is what I find (in addition to 4GB RAM):

Processor #1 Vendor: GenuineIntel
Processor #1 Name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 3060 @ 2.40GHz
Processor #1 speed: 2399.990 MHz
Processor #1 cache size: 4096 KB

Processor #2 Vendor: GenuineIntel
Processor #2 Name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 3060 @ 2.40GHz
Processor #2 speed: 2399.990 MHz
Processor #2 cache size: 4096 KB

In my last exchange with a tech the response was pretty casual that the
load is now down below 20 which is apparently fine?

-Bob