[thelist] how high constitutes troublesome load average.

Robert Lee rob at rob-n-steph.net
Thu Oct 8 22:40:03 CDT 2009

Bob,

The 3060 is a dual core CPU, so if your only seeing two CPU's listed they
have a single chip. With that 1.4 or 1.5 would be an ideal high load
average.

If the machine is running well when you see 2.5, 3.33, 4.18, then it could
be that those numbers are ok for that particular server, but consistent
loads over 2 means that processes are waiting for CPU time. The one and five
minute averages (the first two numbers) aren't as critical, since they could
just represent a short term spike, but if you are consistently seeing a 15
minute load of 8 + then that means that there are on average 8 processes
being handled by two CPU's, meaning that on average 6 processes are waiting.

Keep in mind that there are lots of other factors that could make a machine
slow down (IO, DB, etc.), and load average is just one factor, but a
continually high load sure doesn't help.

Budget hosts tend to milk a machine for all it's worth, but you may be able
to get them to move you to another machine with less load.

HTH,
Rob