[thelist] Sending Bulk Email

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 13:09:32 CDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Fred Jones <fredthejonester at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a client who has a list of several thousand emails. He wants to
> send them a one time email, offering his services. AFAIK it's not
> spam, because he will only send it once.
>
> But there's around a thousand or two for each domain, so if we just
> send them all at once (via a simple custom PHP script) perhaps the
> recipient server will take offense and stop them.
>
> So we thought to send 20 every hour from 9 am to 6 pm via cron. Then
> they will not look suspicious.
>
> Sounds reasonable?

I'm guessing the 1-time set up of this will cost you more than $30
when including the cost of your time.

Why build it when you you can pay $30 and use a service like Constant
Contact or iContact to do it for you? Sign up, upload your contacts
(up to 5000 for the $30 tier), send the email, then cancel the service
(it is a subscription service, so you don't want to leave it going).
There may even be a trial promotion offer. I've seen them before.

(Don't work for either company, but my company does use CC.)

--
Matt Warden
Cincinnati, OH, USA