[thelist] sleep, etc to make a script not take resources

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 14:52:51 CDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:

> maybe it is trivial but this server is already stressed for whatever
> reasons;  as I have been regularly submitting complaints using their
> ticket system I need to make sure that no eventful roads lead back to
> me.

Not to sidestep your original question, but why put up with this shit?
I mean, if your hosting company isn't providing value, why continue
to throw good money after bad? Sounds like a serious waste of your
time dealing with this nonsense.

Anyway...

> will inserting a sleep in the script actually do anything? or if they
> are investigating problems will the sleep which would extend the running
> time simply appear to them as an unknown and bring em on?  if it runs
> and completes in 10 seconds it probably isn't worth bothering.

I can't imagine it taking longer than that, but try it out locally. Time it
and watch the output of `top` with and without sleep()s; then do the
same on the server. Compare and adjust as necessary. If it's going
to be an ongoing activity, then it makes more sense to understand
the impact (which I still think will be essentially invisible).

FWIW,
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
twitter: @hassan