[thelist] MySQL search everywhere?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Thu Oct 15 11:04:08 CDT 2009

Rudy pointed out:

>>except for the obvious fact that you should never generate a LIKE predicate
>>for anything other than character columns

Hi Rudy,

Yeah, thought about that after I sent it.  But as Matt already pointed out I'm pretty sure the Oracle system tables also give you column type as well as column name information ... which should make it pretty painless to avoid looking for 'foo' in a date field or Thursdays in an integer field or (gods help you) anything at all in a blob field!

>>as the saying goes, "the real WTF" is this whole idea of searching every
>>column in every table

Agreed.  I (dimly) recall possibly needing to do something similar once but I can't recall why.

Cheers,
RonL.