[thelist] thelist Digest, Vol 80, Issue 17

Jenni Beard jenni at theweblotus.com
Sat Oct 17 12:08:10 CDT 2009

Actually, at least here in the US, many of the privately owned plumbing
supply houses (storefront) that sell those types of items only have the
showroom items in stock, and then order from the manufacturer or wholesaler
when a customer orders the item(s).  This is standard procedure for many
shops that carry bulkier items such as this.  Personally, I would be
surprised if someone were to try and carry quantities of stock on these
types of items, and would expect the business to fail because of the high
cost of purchasing and then warehousing the items.  This is typically only
done in larger companies, because the small business owner just can't afford
to.  I have personal knowledge of this particular industry because my father
was a plumbing contractor ;).

So, I would not expect an online store to handle these types of products any
differently in that respect than the literal storefront businesses do.

Best,

Jenni

Today's Topics:

   1.  Online Shop with 3rd party provisioning (Simon MacDonald)

A client wants me to set up a (UK based) online shop for him. His intention
is to hold little or no product stock (these are items like baths and
showers) but to get then delivered direct to the client from the supplier.

I am sure I have seen some issues reading this form of online trading - I've
tried google but can't come up with anything. Anyone got any advice
regarding the legality/ethics of doing this?

I may be wrong but something about this makes me twitchy!

cheers

Simon

Simon MacDonald