[thelist] Site optimization & Google keyword changes

aardvark evolt at roselli.org
Thu Oct 22 10:07:05 CDT 2009

On 22 Oct 2009 at 9:18, Bob Boisvert wrote:
[...]
> I've gotten into the habit of keyword optimization when I'm optimizing a
> website but now that Google isn't looking at keywords anymore, how has or
> should the optimization process change to achieve a higher ranking? I have a
> very simple formula that I have been using which included keywords at least
> in the meta tags and definitely in the copy but now I'm not sure of how to
> approach the optimization.
[...]

Google (and others) have ignored meta content for years in evaluating
pages [1]...

writing good copy that contains your targeted brand, message, and
other language is a good start... however, none of this really
increases your page rank... having the complete *lack* of a
word/phrase on a page means it's probably not going to come up in a
search for that word/phrase... loading the page with that
word/phrase, on the other hand, won't necessarily increase where it
comes up in the results, except when considered alongside other pages
from your site...

one of the best ways to increase your page rank is from qualified
inbound links... link farms hurt you... 300 blogs that link to some
great content on your site help... 1 link from a CNN article helps...

i'm greatly oversimplifying, but the simple strategy is to write good
content that people will want to link to, and then hope they do (you
can move that along with more traditional methods, like press
releases, phone calls, etc.)... in short, it's not a technology or
code trick... it's good old fashioned communications and relationship
management...

[1] Verified: Google Ignores Meta Keywords
http://evolt.org/node/62267