[thelist] ZIP. Boom. Cuckoo...

Conyers, Dwayne dwayne.conyers at hp.com
Thu Nov 5 10:38:51 CST 2009

I had an old Dell desktop that had 100MB ZIP and 3½ inch floppy drives built in.  Had that for years and would occasionally archive data to a CD... but mainly used the ZIP and floppy media.

Data that I felt was the most important I burned to a CD or DVD.  Anyway... time rolled forward and I wanted to access something from one of the DVD's - but the DVD gave cyclic redundancy failures.  WHAT????  I never got that from a data DVD before.

The hard drive on the Dell had died so I figured that was all she wrote.  Meanwhile. fast forward several months to today.  I was cleaning my home office and found all these 100mb ZIP disks and floppies in a closet and realized this was my *other* data backup.  However, my 64-bit HP Pavilion only has DVD and bays for HP media drives.

I was thinking of maybe getting a USB ZIP and USB floppy so I could get that data and archive it in a more permanent format... but - that seems like a lot of money to spend, especially since that is the only use for it.

I saw a cheap ($45) refurbished IDE ZIP drive... but don't want to open my tower and install it -- assuming it would even work on my 64-bit Pavilion.  Hmm...

Ideas?

--
The generation that took acid to escape reality is now taking antacid to deal with reality
http://blog.dwacon.com