[thelist] Multi-language site structure

Barney Carroll barney.carroll at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 03:22:12 CST 2009

Meshack,

If someone finds the site on a Spanish domain, they click on English, and
> then are directed to a .com, assuming they notice the changed URL, will they
> get suspicious and as a result be less likely to purchase?

I don't believe they would. There's a clear reason for their having moved —
but I would avoid a simple list of language name links, and make that move
explicit in the language-change device, eg: 'Read this page
in <em>Spanish</em> on our Spanish site.' (in Spanish, obviously).

I think this is very important because switching language/country on a site
is an inherently ambiguous thing as to its practical effect, and while we
re-define our intentions here as information architects, it's important to
get that through to the user. Often I will see sites with a little country
flag and the accompanying major language name beside it on the top left, and
I have no idea whether I'm going to the home-page of a significantly
cut-down minisite for that language, an unintelligible programatically
translated version, or an English-language page saying 'for sales/marketing
in France, email us at this address'.

Making the exact function of the 'language change' explicit makes it much
clearer for you to design/develop with a clear aim in mind, and also gives
the user much more confidence in the device.

Regards,
Barney Carroll

barney.carroll at gmail.com
07594 506 381