[thelist] Newbie with First Ubuntu Server

Todd Richards todd at promisingsites.com
Mon Jan 11 21:21:13 CST 2010

Finally got my first Linux server set up so that I can host some test sites
and learn some more on how to efficiently use Linux.  I'm running Ubuntu
9.10, and have everything running and can pull up a test site.

Now the question is - are there any sites that tell you how to efficiently
run one for hosting websites?  I'm 99.5% Windows (the other .5% now going to
this server) and I know how to quickly and easily go in and set up a site.
But from what I'm reading, there is this long list of things that have to be
done - all by the rooter user - to set up a site. I know that hosts don't do
that (at least I don't think so), so I'm wondering if anyone can point me to
some sites that better explain it?  My searches on Google have come up with
how to install it, but that's not quite what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for tips from the Linux experts!

Todd

PS - For what it's worth, I've got a PDF called "Run Your Own Server with
Linux and Apache" and I've got a book called Ubuntu 9.04 Server
Administration and Reference (by Richard Petersen).