[thelist] Newbie with First Ubuntu Server

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Mon Jan 11 23:00:19 CST 2010

Hi Todd,

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:21:13 -0600, "Todd Richards" wrote:
> Now the question is - are there any sites that tell you how to
efficiently
> run one for hosting websites?  I'm 99.5% Windows (the other .5% now going
> this server) and I know how to quickly and easily go in and set up a
site.
> But from what I'm reading, there is this long list of things that have to
> be
> done - all by the rooter user - to set up a site. I know that hosts don't
> do
> that (at least I don't think so), so I'm wondering if anyone can point me
> some sites that better explain it?  My searches on Google have come up
with
> how to install it, but that's not quite what I'm looking for.

Well, it depends on exactly what sort of sites you want to host on the
server. I'm presuming you're looking at hosting PHP sites with a MySQL
backend? Have you got a mail server installed? You'll want that if you
don't. Postfix is a decent MTA, and Courier is a decent POP3/IMAP server
for virtual hosts. Look at the documentation on the Ubuntu Community
Documentation site.

In general, the default configuration of most applications in the Ubuntu
repository is sufficient for general hosting. Getting to know how to tweak
Apache and MySQL for performance is handy, but not a necessity unless
you're running a high profile site.

By the way, it's the "root" user, and on Ubuntu the root user is disabled
for security reasons. You can run commands as the root user by using the
"sudo" command in front of the command you need to run.

> PS - For what it's worth, I've got a PDF called "Run Your Own Server with
> Linux and Apache" and I've got a book called Ubuntu 9.04 Server
> Administration and Reference (by Richard Petersen).

Those will probably help :-)

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: http://www.saturnlaboratories.co.za/
b: http://blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za/