[thelist] Email Newsletters and Stylesheets

Joel Canfield joel at bizba6.com
Tue Jan 12 11:58:04 CST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:

> Sarah Adams wrote:

Sarah, I just had to thank you for the word 'decruftify'--it will be an
entry on a client invoice someday, I assure you

>> (Now if only my clients actually *followed* said instructions, I'd spend
>> a lot less time trying to decruftify HTML, and my life would be a lot
>> simpler.)
>>

> <snip>

> However you can still sense a level of frustration in the background.  Why
> can't I (do it my way)?

and that's as should be. why should the humans have to adapt to the
machines? (not saying it's your job to do it, but it shouldn't be the
client's job, either.)

I explain to my clients why it will take longer and cost more if they send
me Word docs (or use WYSIWYG copy/pastage) and then, if that's how they
wanna do it, they've made an informed choice to spend money instead of time.

I suspect that sometimes our frustration with these clients is that we're
not charging enough to cover the cost of decruftification but we should be.

joel