[thelist] iframe ignoring base target

John List johnlist at gulfbridge.net
Mon Jan 18 13:31:36 CST 2010

On 01/18/2010 02:07 PM, Joel Canfield wrote:
> Any insights into why the iframe on this page (and others) ignores the base
> target set in the head of the document?
>
> http://www.goldenstateoutdoorsman.com/forum.php
>
> <http://www.goldenstateoutdoorsman.com/forum.php>Is there another/better way
> to make all links inside the iframe open in the parent window?
>
> joel

I'm thinking it's because the <base> tag only applies to the current
document. The contents of the iframe are in a separate document.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#type-frame-target

But what is it you are trying to accomplish? If you put
"target='_parent' " in your links in the frame, then they would
/replace/ the parent frameset in its window, and I don't think that's
what you want to do.

Are you trying to retain the parent "frameset" when the user opens a
link in a new window? I think the usual way to so this is for the iframe
document to check to see if it's being viewed within the frameset and,
if not, to redirect to it.

All of which begs the question: why are you using frames? :)

-John