[thelist] general trend with primary buttons on drop down menus

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Thu Jan 21 23:23:37 CST 2010

Okay, aside from the fact that not everyone loves dropdowns, what is the
general trend with the first button of a dropdown?  Should it be a link
or should it simply activate the menu?

I can see times where people might not think to click on it once they
see there is a menu forthcoming.  With some menus not every button
activates the dropdown, so it is reasonably obvious that those buttons
activate pages.  Sometimes I make that top level button link to the same
page as the first 'obvious' button.

A side effect of this practice with some content management systems is
that in the page URL you will have a different Itemid (the menu button
ID) which I'm thinking will diffuse or confuse search engines.  Is this
a valid concern?

You will see something like:

index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=116&Itemid=159 ==> this
would be the main button
index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=116&Itemid=326 ==> this is
the first drop down item

Same content but different itemid

Would there be any reason to create a 301 redirect to train the search
engines to see the two as one?

-Bob