[thelist] network/performance diagnostic procedures

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Sun Feb 14 11:36:00 CST 2010

I am methodically plodding along this path.  Thanks thus far.  A couple
of the recommendations including HG staff are to use traceroute. With
Ubuntu Linux I should be able to do that via command line or using the
network monitor package.  Unfortunately it will only trace to my
Actiontec router, then splats out.  I checked this via both my regular
desktop and a freshly installed laptop - same results.

syncsync:~/Desktop> traceroute www.google.com
traceroute to www.google.com (74.125.155.103), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1)  0.750 ms  1.079 ms  1.381 ms
 2  * * *
 3  * * *
 4  * * *
 5  * * *
 6  * * *

I took a look into the router set up but don't see where there is any
firewall stuff enable to prevent it from working but then this is not my
skillset.  Suggestions?

Ping has been bouncing around from 0 to 50% packet loss this morning.
Last night network response was on steroids, not today.

-Bob