[thelist] mapping out an oracle database

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Feb 26 14:18:50 CST 2010

On 26 Feb 2010, at 14:36, Jeremy Weiss wrote:

> Now, some of the terms Matt threw out are new to me, so I'm off to
> learn about data marts and visualizations and find out what an ETL
> person is. ;)

ETL = Extract, Transform, Load
aka get the data you need out of the big db where it's all a mess, tidy it up and stick it nicely packaged into a small db specifically built for your purpose.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extract,_transform,_load

The small db is a data mart.

Be warned - enterprise ETL tools (Ab Initio, Informatica etc) cost an absolute fortune. Which you'll think of as cheap when you start looking at day rates of competent contractors (hell, even of incompetent ones).

Cheers
Martin