[thelist] flash video and IE7 / IE8

Lee Kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 4 16:47:10 CST 2010

On 4 March 2010 21:49, Barney Carroll <barney.carroll at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you've got Flash working in one instance of IE, you won't be needing to
> (re)install the player to get another instance working.

I think Bob has IE7 on a separate windows installation, so I fear it
will need installing on both.

> If you are (rightly) concerned about user experience on pages featuring
> Flash you should provide alternative content, even if that content is just
> 'your browser isn't rendering Flash - you can get the plugin here'. As you
> say, getting a blank box with a red X is crap for everyone. There's a decent
> JS method for injecting Flash if it's available called SWFobject you might
> be interested in. Don't have the link to hand but a quick search should
> through up the right results.

+1 for SWFObject.  Otherwise the fallback is just a matter of putting
some content inside the <object> element I think.  You may wish to
still have some fallback content when using SWFObject, but one would
usually use a <div> to contain the fallback and pass the <div>'s ID to
SWFObject so when it injects the Flash the fallback is overwritten.

--
Lee
www.webdeavour.co.uk