[thelist] iphone apps

Barney Carroll barney.carroll at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 11:16:24 CDT 2010

Yes, an iPhone App proper is something only iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads
can use. The Joomla thing sounds good — standardisation across mobile
browsers isn't as bad as you might think and a bit of work will make a site
cater to all mobile devices pretty well. http://www.jqtouch.com/ features
mobile events such as orientation change, swipe, etc. if you want to get
adventurous, but if you provide this meta:

maximum-scale=1.0;">

…you will achieve the most sought-after thing, which is to have the page fix
width to the mobile devices available width and prevent zooming.

The demo on http://www.jqtouch.com/ shows how you can instruct the user to
download (or simply link) a site to their iPhone's home screen (so that it
is in fact indistinguishable from an App except in terms of graphical
hardware acceleration) — much like Google's Voice app (which is all HTML5
and JS). http://www.google.com/mobile/voice/

I haven't used this myself but it looks like an interesting halfway house:
build your site with W3 DHTML, then compile it as an application for iPhone,
Android, Blackberry… http://phonegap.com/ — having said that I'd still
recommend the web development proper route.

This is also good stuff:

Regards,
Barney Carroll

barney.carroll at gmail.com