[thelist] Looking for extra-reliable, extra-secure .Net hosting

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Apr 22 11:47:19 CDT 2010

ORCSWeb or MaximumASP

I've hosted with ORCSWeb, and they are awesome. Other than having a bunch of MVPs, they also host a bunch of Microsoft sites (like www.asp.net and www.iis.net). Let me know if you'd like to be put in touch with some of their principals if you'd like a private discussion.

MaximumASP also has a pretty good rep, and I've got acquaintances that report good results from them.

FWIW, there is a **huge** difference between outsourcing to a host, to running your own DC (there's a big step in between where you just rent some rackspace at an existing DC). Running your own DC is something that costs many tens of millions per year. Outsourced hosting costs you a few thousand per year. If you can only afford the latter, then you are a long way away from the former. :)

Cheers
Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Ed McCarroll
Sent: Thursday, 22 April 2010 10:58 PM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] Looking for extra-reliable, extra-secure .Net hosting

> I would recommend either buying an app for a well-secured in-house box
... or outsourcing
> the entire function.  There are a number of companies that will handle
outsourced Payroll,
> HR, and other functions.  I believe their clientele is mostly small to
mid-sized companies.
> Sometimes it can be a good move to outsource a function and have it
handled well.

That's all good advice, Ron, but this isn't for our own in-house use.
We're looking to become one of those companies which serve the "58% of
companies with fewer than 500 employees".  Currently, we produce a
respectable desktop payroll product which we're looking to evolve into a
web app.

Eventually, we'll have to run our own data center, but during our start-up
phase, we are looking into the viability of using a host.

Which brings me back to the original question: what are the "right
questions" to be asking if I'm looking for maximum security and maximum
reliability?

Thanks again.
\