[thelist] system background process php

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Thu Apr 29 20:54:05 CDT 2010

The VPS upgrade is complete.  Now we have:

CPU 1.98GHZ / RAM: 1344MB
as opposed to
CPU 1.13GHZ / RAM: 768MB.

However the performance is still awful.

I just ran some command-line ImageMagick tests after the upgrade on 2
different servers and my Linux desktop using this command:

% convert cat1500.jpg -thumbnail '100x100>' -background white -gravity
center -extent 100x100 cat_thumb.jpg

On the VPS server, the command takes about 18 seconds.

On the ordinary shared hosting server it runs easily in about 1/2 second.

Then on my local Linux pc, it also completes in under one second,
perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 second.

I can appreciate that it might slower slower on the VPS server because
of how the server shares resource, but the difference I am seeing is
minimally a factor of 18, probably 36+.

Can this be? What else is in the mix that can be checked?  The version
of imagemagick is even newer on the VPS account:

/home/horses/TEST% convert -version
Version: ImageMagick 6.4.8 2010-02-03 Q16 OpenMP http://www.imagemagick.org
Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2009 ImageMagick Studio LLC

Can anyone on the list do a similar test on a VPS server they run.  The
input image is a standard 1500KB jpg.

-Bob