[thelist] Higher Screen Resolutions

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Fri May 21 12:41:41 CDT 2010

Back on topic (and regardless if statistics), Bob, are your ideas wider than 1024 pixels? ;) Providing the question is not rhetorical, the answer is no, not yet.

The fellow who prompted me to promote this debate did not have the inference of how the widescreen or higher resolution monitor is used. It was more of a blanket statement that I should be developing solutions that make the most of the available real estate because statistics (some version of statistics) suggest that the majority of people are buying higher res and of those many on ultra high.  Just because you can, you have the real estate, doesn't mean you should.

"When you get bigger than 1020px, you get to the point where the eye has to move to be able to take in the whole thing. At this point, you're forcing mental redraws by the user, which makes it difficult work to digest the import of the whole site quickly."

Quoted from Barney, this puts some additional perspective on the end-user's experience.

P.S. www.MobileJoomla.com is a solution that you can fit to your Joomla site to make it mobile-friendly.

-Bob