[thelist] ajax dynamic dropdown menu set

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Wed Jul 28 14:49:53 CDT 2010

I've just started working on setting up an ajax dropdown menu set using
data coming from a mysql table.  I got the code off
http://www.plus2net.com/php_tutorial/dd3.php.  Their demo works
perfectly.  When you click submit the output test shows the 3 values
selected for cat, subcat and subcat3.

First problem)  My simple test at www.jtest.us/scripts/dd3.php sees the
first 2 values upon submit, but is empty for subcat3.

Second problem) Rather than treating it like ajax, the second form which
is contained within a joomla demo website, treats the script like a
regular form and seems to attempt to submit and reload the page.  See it
at:
http://jtest.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91&Itemid=55
. I have changed the self.location so that it is correctly pointing to
the joomla page for submit.

Problem one is annoying, problem two is a real problem.  Anyone have any
ideas, particularly with the second problem, why the form event/action
is failing?  The Joomla page includes a link to the plain text version.

-Thx, Bob