[thelist] PHP_SELF / Contact Form

DAVOUD TOHIDY dtohidy at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 4 15:11:12 CDT 2010

> From: kipper_timmins at live.co.uk
> To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
> Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 19:46:55 +0100
> Subject: Re: [thelist] PHP_SELF / Contact Form

> Ahh this sounds like a new line issue to me from what I can glean.
> Could you let us know what isn't working? is it the text area not showing,
> information not getting through the validation?
> You might need to replace \n\r with your own newline characters such as
> [newline] or something like that with a string replacement.
> Sorry I can't be more specific,
> Hope this helps a bit
> Kevin

I found what is causing the problem:

I have:

$message = mysql_real_escape_string(htmlentities(strip_tags(stripslashes(trim($_POST['message'])))));

mysql_real_escape_string is causing the /n/r to show up inside the text area where the user message
is retained when the user submits the form. Removing mysql_real_escape_string along with adding:

<?php  $message = str_replace(array("\r\n", "\n", "\r"),"<br />",$message); echo($message)?>

However:

1-I do not want to remove the mysql_real_escape_string
2-I do not want to have the <br /> either

What I would like to have is just a new line exactly as the user had typed.

removing the <br /> from the above will remove the space between paragraphs in the message.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Thanks
davoud