[thelist] web statistics - mobile vs PC

David Miller david at deadpansincerity.com
Wed Aug 25 09:51:51 CDT 2010

This was kinda interesting as a mobile equivalent to the w3 stats (The
aggregates on wikipedia[1] are likely a better source)

http://wapreview.com/blog/?p=6828

And this is a nice infographic!
http://connect.icrossing.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/mobile-market-share.gif

 I am curious how many people really use a mobile as their primary device,
> shop online (gotta have it now) - the whole package.

Me too :) Would be fascinating.

Unfortunately I struggle to see how you could get a remotely accurate
figure. If you had access to google's databases you could probably run
enough data-mining algorithms to get a half decent picture, but releasing it
would raise too many awkward questions about data privacy.

Out of the air guesses :
Globally hardly any.
lots in places like Japan/South Africa where mobile caught on early or
broadband infrastructure is weaker than 3G/equivalent.

One million points to anyone who _does_ have decent figures for this though
:)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

Love regards etc

David Miller