[thelist] Regex Riddle

Frank Marion lists at frankmarion.com
Sat Aug 28 20:35:56 CDT 2010

On 2010-08-28, at 8:05 PM, Jason Handby wrote:
> But it's late at night, and maybe someone clever will come along and
> correct me tomorrow :-)

One day, I was approached a couple of coder friends who were having a
friendly debate. "Frank, Mike here says that regex is an art. I say
it's a science. Break the tie".

"Neither", I replied, "It's witchcraft".

Yes, I'll be using this with a server side language. But I'm at a loss
as to how I'll actually implement it.

The notion is that I'll be "filtering" an entire body of html for the
relative links.

guarantees the relative link (it'll always be called "index.cfm"). I
don't need to remember that. Then what I'm left with is, if it exists,
the query string to process. Sometimes regex gives me a case of tunnel
vision.

Thanks for the help, though. Regex is the sort of stuff that if you
don't have Mud Mind from a long days work, you'll get one. :)

--
Frank Marion
lists [_at_] frankmarion.com