[thelist] <s>Spam</s> Marketing Email Return

Joel D Canfield joel at bizba6.com
Wed Oct 20 11:31:27 CDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Matt Warden <mwarden at gmail.com> wrote:

> But let's realize that Godin was head of Marketing at Yahoo, a large
> organization with a strong existing brand. Opt-in works great when
> everyone knows about you; they can decide whether you are worth their
> time or not.

Actually, at the time he wrote it, he was 1/2 of the tiny little company
YoYoDyne.

the reaction people are going to have when they receive it. Did you
> waste my time? Or am I pleasantly surprised about a solution to a
> problem I didn't realize until just now that I had, or that I knew I
> had but did not know of any solutions?
>
> So I have matured my understanding of spam. Spam is not unsolicited
> email. Spam is unsolicited email that I don't want.

Yup. Agreed. If I've never heard of you, but you take the time to be
personal and relevant, the fact that it's not anticipated is moot; I'll
anticipate it retroactively because you addressed your email to me and it
was about something I wanted.

UCE, like spam, is a misnomer. I don't mind receiving unsolicited commercial
email. I mind receiving impersonal unanticipated irrelevant email. Only time
I click the 'spam' button is when someone achieves that trifecta of fail.

joel