[thelist] Text Translation in apps

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Oct 20 21:00:59 CDT 2010

I'm looking for suggestions for modifying a large existing application to
support multiple languages.

Must of the strings in app have been found and wrapped in a localize()-type
function which is then used to look up the text for their selected language.
 It support parameter substitution, too.  But, using English for the keys
has not worked that well as sometimes the same key might have two different
translations depending on the context.  It's also been somewhat of a
maintenance nightmare trying to keep track of all languages, what is
missing, etc.

So, I'm wondering what others have done and any tools that have proven
effective at managing the text that needs translating.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org