[thelist] responsiveness from "the coffee shop"

Will willthemoor at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 21:37:04 CDT 2010

On Oct 23, 2010, at 3:51 PM, Hassan Schroeder <hassan.schroeder at gmail.com> wrote:
> But regardless of where the access is coming from, you need to look
> at where you have performance bottlenecks and fix them. That'll make
> everyone's experience better, right? :-)
>
> FWIW,
> --
> Hassan Schroeder

Certainly true but, and I think this was implied in the original question, optimization isn't free. Sure, there are good patterns to follow when developing that will help but the fact is it takes longer to think of good ways to optimize your database IO and it takes longer to build graphic sprites and it takes longer to combine JavaScript and it takes longer to lazy load your page and and and.

I think load times at a random coffee shop is a perfectly valid endpoint but the client can't expect it to load quickly there for free. So if a client called me about it, I'd explain what optimizations had already been done and talk about the time it would take to go further.