[thelist] rearrange pages on a CMS driven site - need redirection help

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Thu Oct 28 07:08:18 CDT 2010

Hi Bob,

On 10/27/2010 11:13 PM, Bob Meetin wrote:
> I have to rearrange some pages on a CMS driven site:
>
> Old: http://www.mywebsite.domain/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=472
> New: http://www.mywebsite.domain/index.php?option=com_wordpress&p=381&Itemid=318
>
> In the .htaccess I added numerous variations similar to:
>
> Options +FollowSymLinks
> RewriteEngine On
>
> RewriteRule  http://www.mywebsite.domain/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=472   http://www.mywebsite.domain/index.php?option=com_wordpress&p=381&Itemid=318   [R=301,L]

RewriteRule doesn't compare against the query string.  In the case above, the text exposed to the various rule is just '/index.php'.  You'll need to use a RewriteCond if you absolutely have to do this in your .htaccess.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_rewrite.html#rewriterule

The various CMS's I'm familiar with have rewriting facilities of their own.  It seems to me a rewriting function in PHP called from index.php would take care of this, and would have all of PHP's database tools available to automate the re-arrangements.

HTH,

Phil