[thelist] Javascript Frameworks

Olivier Percebois-Garve percebois at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 11:48:16 CST 2010

Some people prefer cocacola, some others pepsi.

As jquery is currently the cocacola of the js libs, you are more likely to
have to work on it, more likely to find people experienced with it,
more likely to find code built on top of it.

jQuery's components are : 1. selector engine 2. dom manipulation&event
handling 3. ajax 4. animation

They are all sweet and simple to use, which explains the success of jQuery
against competitions.
That said, these bricks are not sufficient when you have to scale up your
stuff and build a real webapp,
where you'll need to have some sort of mvc, which means to have at least a
templating engine, and probably dependency management, oop layer, widget
system...
dojo and mootools already provide at least partially that (I dunno exactly
inhowmuch), and for jquery you'll have to add these pieces by yourself.
http://alexsexton.com/?p=106
http://blog.rebeccamurphey.com/on-rolling-your-own

Anyway, all these libs are now mature, some of them used to have real flaws
in the past, such as extending the native js objects, but now all that sort
of things has üretty much been fixed, so ou are quite safe to use any of
them, if you have the freedom to choose.

-olivier