[thelist] messy IP address/~account and mobile app question

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Fri Dec 10 12:04:42 CST 2010

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:

>> developer is building an iPhone app to sister the website and when
>> creating/submitting that iPhone app rather than incorporating the live
>> domain,  www.mydomain.com, they submitted or built in whatever they do.
>>

> Huh? I'm not following that at all. Are you saying this other developer
> is creating an app explicitly linking to a test site? That makes no sense.
>
> A little more info, please?

The developers who created the iPhone app failed to change the URL from
the under development IP address page to the live domain name and it got
submitted to Apple and is out there.  Not my problem but is my client.

On a test website I tried setting up a simple redirection in the
.htaccess but didn't help, maybe because I don't understand this stuff.
Into the .htaccess I  added various flavors of:

RewriteRule 174.121.22.85/~the_account/ http://the_live_domain.com [R=301,L]

RewriteCond ^174.121$
RewriteRule $  http://the_live_domain.com [R=301,L]

This latter is a total failure.