[thelist] registering a .net when .com is held

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Mon Dec 20 13:29:20 CST 2010

Nan Harbison wrote:
> Isn't it more about who was there first and can prove it?
> I did a website called, say, websiteinc.com because a guy in Florida is
> sitting on website.com. He briefly started a website with a similar business
> model, although he specialized in a different clientele. He used the same
> font we were using though. My client looked into suing him, although didn't
> pursue it. Her lawyer might have tried threatening him. I think since we
> came first, we had some basis to sue him. He eventually gave up the site,
> and is just sitting on the domain name. He would sell it for a lot of money
> of course, which my client didn't have.

Silly me.  Of course anyone can file a lawsuit for just about anything.
Was the coffee too hot?  Let's have your attorney talk to mine...

But in spirit of the question, what Nan says is what it is.  We're
talking about squatter's rights.  So someone has been camping on a
domain for years with perhaps no intent other than to sell it given the
opportunity.  Does that give them the 'right'?  Or just to be safe is
there a site, government website perhaps, where we can do a lookup to
see if there is a legitimate business lurking in the background?

--
Bob Meetin
dotted i