[thelist] registering a .net when .com is held

Dave Land land at aol.com
Mon Dec 20 17:07:05 CST 2010

Bob,

On Dec 20, 2010, at 11:29 AM, Bob Meetin wrote:

> Nan Harbison wrote:
>> Isn't it more about who was there first and can prove it?
>> I did a website called, say, websiteinc.com because a guy in
>> Florida is
>> sitting on website.com. He briefly started a website with a similar
>> business
>> model, although he specialized in a different clientele. He used
>> the same
>> font we were using though. My client looked into suing him,
>> although didn't
>> pursue it. Her lawyer might have tried threatening him. I think
>> since we
>> came first, we had some basis to sue him. He eventually gave up the
>> site,
>> and is just sitting on the domain name. He would sell it for a lot
>> of money
>> of course, which my client didn't have.

I don't know of a government web site that would give you that
information: The Internet is famously unregulated (just look at the
trouble that's happening tomorrow in Washington over net neutrality
for all the proof you need of that), so I doubt that there is a
government site that would have anything like a registry of domains
mapped back to their underlying business entities.

What you might want to do to see if the site has been in active use
for a "real" business is to check out the history of the site on web.archive.org
. If it's been in use for a real site, you'll be able to tell quickly,
as the revisions of the page over time reflect its maintenance.

To see what a truly long-held "squatted" domain looks like, check out
the history of land.com (http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://
land.com/). Since at least 2005, it's been nothing but a series of
typical domain-squatter pages. Before that (not shown on archive.org),
it was held without a web site attached. It appears to have been
registered since at least 1993, and never once used for an actual web
site. Because of my last name, I've had an eye on that domain since
the mid-1990s, but someone else has had a long dream of getting rich
off that domain and it hasn't paid off yet.

Dave