[thelist] Non-Pop-Up Pop-Up

Lee Kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 10 15:15:47 CST 2011

On 7 January 2011 20:14, Edward McCarroll <Ed at comsimplicity.com> wrote:
> I have an application that needs to open a second browser window that
> doesn't completely cover the first one.  I was thinking of using
> JavaScript, but my understanding is that that approach will run afoul
> of most pop-up blockers.

As long as the pop-up is a direct (i.e. not via setTimeout) action on
a click event, you'll be the right side of most pop-up blockers, only
the most aggressively configured blockers will block those (and if you
want to cater for people using them, then you'll also need to think
about people switching off their JavaScript).

> I think I need JavaScript because I need to control (on client side)
> the positioning and size of the window.

You will need JavaScript to do that.  You could use JavaScript to fake
a new window using a decorated iframe, but that will be constrained
within the bounds of the original window (and automatically 'closed'
if you unload the main page).

--
Lee
www.webdeavour.co.uk