[thelist] site redesign: what will break SEO? what will keep existing Google juice?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Wed Feb 23 02:33:57 CST 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 12:32 -0700, Joel D Canfield wrote:
> prospect has an old hand coded site with a WordPress blog tacked on. home
> page of the existing site has loads of Google juice.
>
> if we simply migrate all the content to WP at the same domain, how will SEO
> and Google's rankings be affected?

Matt's pretty much on target; Google cares only what the content is, and
not about what happens on the server end to get it out onto the HTTP
connection.

I'd like to add this makes a great opportunity to dump silliness like
".html" in the URL. Also, if you care about valid code, be careful about
what WordPress plugins you add, as many of them will cause an otherwise
valid site to fail validation (at least CSS validation if not HTML as
well).

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>