[thelist] Facebook / blocked / security

Barney Carroll barney.carroll at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 05:11:54 CDT 2011

Facebook take your privacy very seriously. You may have mistaken that
glint in their eye for mischievous humour; it's actually contempt.
Reliable access to your personal details is for 3rd party companies
(not you on holiday) — I'm pretty sure it's in the continuously
changing EULA.

</cynicalMickyTake>

I got stuck on this a while back while in Morocco. After giving me a
variety of conflicting and vague messages as to why I was suspicious
and how I might verify my authenticity, I finally managed to get
notification of success after completing a simple process, but was
then unable to use the API through anything other than a desktop PC —
a weird half-way house that was success according to them but fail for
my practical purposes.

The authentication process eludes me, but I avoided the identify
friends by profile pic option (most of my contacts have ironic
Photoshopped images for these, making it impossible to reliably
establish their identity). I'm pretty sure there are two other options
(although I can't remember them off-hand) based on details
confirmation.

Failing that finding a 'desktop PC' or spoofing your UA to mimic one
might give you said options or establish an extra degree of
'authenticity'?

Regards,
Barney Carroll

barney.carroll at gmail.com