[thelist] QR Codes

Randal Rust randalrust at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 08:43:35 CDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 9:06 PM, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:

> The client forwards to me a message from someone she works with saying that
> it is important that we add the QR code (barcode) to the site.

<snip />

> I wonder of the perceived value

That's it right there -- perceived value.

I do some work with real estate clients and they are all in a tizzy
over QR codes. I personally don't see the value of putting them on
yard signs. As Rudy pointed out, who's going to be able to take a
snapshot of them when they are driving?

However, what usually happens in these cases is one realtor starts
using it and then they say that it works like gangbusters and then all
of the other realtors just *have* to have it too. The funny thing is
that prior to implementing these things no one can every quantify
*works like gangbusters.* Personally, I like data. I want to know that
the time we are going to spend implementing something is going to turn
into traffic and sales.

I think that QR codes work well in print ads in newspapers and
magazines where you are limited in space, or on the big screen at a
sports event, where thousands of people have their phones with them.
They might work on billboards in certain places, or on advertisements
on walls in high-traffic areas like arenas or even the local park.

Back to perceived value. One of my real estate clients has a 21-year
old daughter. Guess how they found out about those *cool QR codes?* So
the perceived value is that younger professionals, college kids and
teens think it's cool.

I actually had another real estate client tell me last week that they
wanted to implement them so that they looked *cutting edge.* Yet this
is the same client that has for years refused to create video tours of
their model homes to post on YouTube and their website.

--
Randal Rust
R.Squared Communications