[thelist] fonts (Palatino / General)

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Thu May 26 08:49:46 CDT 2011

On 05/25/2011 04:02 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2011/05/25 12:32 (GMT-0500) erik mattheis composed:
>
>> Better,
>
>> font-family: "Palatino Linotype", Palatino, "Book Antiqua", "URW
>> Palladio L", serif;
>
> Or the opposite, designed to more likely use one possibly better tuned for the native environment:
>
> font-family:
>     'URW Palladio L', /* Linux, FOSS, though rarely installed elsewhere */
>     Palatino, /* Mac native, superior on Mac to Palatino Linotype */
>     'Palatino Linotype', /* Windows, unlikely to have either above  */
>     'Book Antiqua', /* extra fallback for old Windows*/
>     Georgia, /* Linux w/ Windows fonts installed will have this, but not PL... */
>     serif; /* ...near universally a smaller x-height than all those above */
>
> For those not aware of the implications of Linux being a multiuser operating system, one using it can have multiple simultaneous logins using separate X sessions. Supported format font files in ~/.fonts instead of /usr/share/fonts* will be found only by that user's browser(s), allowing one person with one system and display to virtually simultaneously observe the impact of different font availability sets.

Thanks all, I rarely work with designers and very stringent custom font needs (this is really the tip of the iceberg here), so yes this has been a bit of an eye-opening and educational experience.  Were I someone who worked exclusively on MAC and didn't check, no alternate PC, no browsercam, this could easily have been missed.

In additional to the education this forced me to copy all my Windows PC fonts to my Linux box as well as copy all the old custom fonts installed on my x-Linux desktop to the laptop.  Thanks goodness for the flash device.  I also made up an HTML comparison file with many standard and custom fonts. Between that and the research perhaps 2 days of unpaid consulting.  Gotta love it!

--
Bob Meetin
dotted i