[thelist] development time cost on new functionality

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 11:28:45 CDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Fred Jones <fredthejonester at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now I wonder how I can re-charge for those 5 hours I spent to write it
> for Client A. I tell B:
>
> Yes, I could add such a feature to your site. Since I have done
> something similar in the past, this one item I will bill for you at a
> fixed cost of 5 hours of work.
>
> Not 100% honest, but certainly nothing DIS-honest there.

The ethical soup is only because you talked about hours. I would not
do that. Just say you can do it for $x fixed as a separate line item
on your invoice. If you want to go one more step, you can say you have
a solution you offer that solves that problem and that you will
license to them for $x, or you can reinvent the wheel for $y/hr for
however long it takes.

--
Matt Warden
http://mattwarden.com