[thelist] Fixed Cost Estimations

Randal Rust randalrust at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 15:21:53 CDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Fred Jones <fredthejonester at gmail.com> wrote:

>> We do everything by hours, and we track time on every project. On some
>> projects, you lose, on some you win. But in the end, you manage
>> everything towards a net gain.
>
> I could never work like that. To lose on a project, hoping to make it
> up on the next--I think I would be unable to be friendly and do a good
> job on such a project. :)

It depends on how many clients you have, concurrent projects and what
your overhead is. You have to know when taking a lump or two is worth
it with your client in order to keep them around. It's worth it in the
long-term.

Our business is based on long-term relationships with our clients, not
one-off projects.

So if it takes 4 hours longer to write some copy for a new site, but 6
hours less than expected to write some new code, it's a net gain in
our favor.

--
Randal Rust
R.Squared Communications