[thelist] GUI web builders

Patrick Horgan phorgan1 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 02:40:13 CDT 2011

Someone posted on another thread about using dreamweaver.  I used it a
bit a few years ago for a seminar, but in general I've never used gui
builders.  While the results can be perfect, when I read the code (html
and javascript) behind the page, it is distasteful and less than
elegant.  I used wxpython to make a user interface awhile back and
rapidly dropped it to write the code myself because the generated code
wasn't elegant.

I'm perfectly willing to admit I'm a nut though;)

I'm the same way about C/C++ python, assembler--I don't use IDEs
although I've learned a few through the years.  I'm a vi command line
make sort of guy.

So I was just wondering.  How many of you gals/guys use GUIs to design
your pages and how many don't?  If you don't, why not?  If you do, and
you've been in the business for awhile, why do you?

I know that with me, I always want to understand exactly what's going
on, and I want things to be done in the most simple, elegant, and
beautiful way.  The thought of handing control over to a GUI while I
just push GUI elements around makes no sense to me.  It feels like
trying to move a chain by pushing on one end.

Patrick