[thelist] GUI web builders

Will willthemoor at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 14:00:33 CDT 2011

> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Patrick Horgan <phorgan1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> So I was just wondering.  How many of you gals/guys use GUIs to design
>> your pages and how many don't?  If you don't, why not?

I love the promise of GUI based web tools - allowing anyone with mouse skills to craft their own web presence. Thing is, websites need to be maintained and that need never seems to go well with generated code. It's hard enough to maintain someone else's hand crafted code, let alone 'as long as it looks ok' machine generated code.

I'm still hopeful that this will change one day, particularly as some of the css3 layout modules come alive. I don't think I'd ever use them but I would love to see them work and work well. HTML was designed as a layperson's language for a reason but it turns out to be above the head of too many would be web creators.