[thelist] Best Linux install for home development server?

Simon MacDonald simonmacdonald at uk2.net
Wed Sep 14 06:19:50 CDT 2011

Hi Folks,

Currently my development server is my laptop - a 4 year old HP running win 7
ultimate, 2gb ram, 250gb disk. I run Apache and MySQL on it, plus graphics
tools and lots of other crud.

I also have about 4TB of NAS on my home network for backups and multimedia
stuff.

The laptop is  now pretty much full and running out of space, and I need to
re think my home office strategy.

I still want to use my laptop as my main development tool - running editors
and some graphics, but I want (I think), to move  apache, mysql and anything
else suitable off onto a desktop server running Linux. I did dabble in Linux
about 10 years ago - I used Redhat, I think, but Linux has moved on greatly
since then.

Sooo, my questions are:

1.       What is the best Linux install to go for - I was considering
Ubuntu?

2.       Being used to Windows, I'm not sure what sort of hardware
specifiication I should be looking for to run this setup - 4gb ram and 1Tb
sata disk, probably, but not sure what processor to go for.

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Simon

Simon MacDonald

http://lemonslicedesign.com