[thelist] Best Linux install for home development server?

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 10:10:41 CDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 4:19 AM, Simon MacDonald <simonmacdonald at uk2.net> wrote:

> I still want to use my laptop as my main development tool - running editors
> and some graphics, but I want (I think), to move  apache, mysql and anything
> else suitable off onto a desktop server running Linux.

> 1.       What is the best Linux install to go for

If you're just moving server-type stuff to it, why not pick the same OS
as your production system(s) use?

Having a dev/test environment as similar as possible to production is
a good (I would say essential) thing regardless, and if that means more
than one OS, no worries, use VMs (VirtualBox, VMWare).

In fact, running multiple VMs (not necessarily simultaneously) is very
useful because:
1) you can tailor each one to a specific production platform,
2) you can snapshot them so it's easy to revert to a clean image if
    (oops!) you break something badly
3) you can clone or destroy them as you add or delete projects
4) you can easily test-drive new distributions

HTH,
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder
twitter: @hassan