[thelist] Potential Subdomain problem

Graham Hays graham.hays at visualcomputing.co.uk
Tue Oct 18 02:56:01 CDT 2011

Hi all

I have no experience (yet!) with using subdomains so need some advice.

We are considering using subdomains for specific products (typically 4-5
pages per product so they could stand as sites in their own right) BUT we
want to keep the original products in the main site so viewers can access
either by subdomain or through the main site. So both
'mainsite.com/product-x' and 'product-x.mainsite.com' both actually access
the files in 'mainsite.com/product-x'.

what I'm wondering is - is there a downside to doing this? Will this get the
SEO thumbs down? (would this be treated as duplicate content)

Graham