[thelist] Video and Mobile Devices

Meshack meshack at hrts.org
Mon Jan 9 12:50:46 CST 2012

Using a service like YouTube is definitely easier... they take care of all
the format issues that come up with video.

Enabling video for iOS devices is a chore. The easiest way to embed video
for these devices is to use HTML 5. But since you also probably want to
support current web browsers, you have to do a few tricks. First you have to
have two formats of the video ready to be served... Ogg and H.264. If I
remember right, it's Safari and Internet Explorer that support H.264 and
Firefox/Chrome that support Ogg.  Then the code gets a little messy.

Here is a tutorial I googled that I skimmed and looks like it has what you
need:
http://www.webmonkey.com/2010/05/embed-videos-in-your-web-pages-using-html5/

You might also look into Kaltura... it's open source video player and I
believe they have a free option. It will give you a little more flexibility
than youtube.

-Meshack