[thelist] Knowledge base/Wiki/Shared Docs: Recommendations?

Renoir Boulanger renoirb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 15:50:42 CST 2012

Hello ppl.

To give you an idea of my position

I am actively using "knowledge base" paradigm at my workplacesince 2006. I have been using many of the tools available. Ranging from costly and slow SAP Netweaver, SharePoint, MediaWiki, Confluence, PhpWiki, Tiki, to even Tomboy.

It all goes about optimization and sharing. And remove cluttered mailboxes with word documents that looks like pizzas.

My workflow:
1. Start a wiki page with the goal and a task list widget of thing i want to not forget while outlining projec specific elaboration
2. Do a personnal brainstorm of things to outline proper vocabulary
3. When page gets bigger, i do subpages that talks about specifics

Right tool for right task:

1. A blog is about publishing filtered non-harmful tutorials that was elaborated
2. Wiki is for work in progress work and collaborative work
3. PDF attachment as the archived version. Zip the doc files if there is. I attach them to the project's homepage in the wiki

My pick depends on the budget:

1. Not yet determined needs and all in one, I mean Everything. and cheap: Tiki

PS: Tiki has more than 1000 features. It's even winning against sharepoint.

2. Nice looking, less than 10 users, cheap, and best to my experience: Confluence.

I manage them both in my company.  I mean I use actively confluenc to manage my projects elaboration before going to code

For tiki. We are active with the community. We host their Live conference softwre BigBlueButton at http://live.tiki.org/ and we have a "Install now" free for testing purposes tiki installation:  http://hosting.evocatio.com/

For confluence. You can install it on a JavaEE capable server. 10$/10 users.

Or use their OnDemand hosting service. 10$/month ... 10 users

hope this helps.

--
Renoir Boulanger

{ sites: [