[thelist] setting team standards and guidelines

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 17:25:00 CDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Matt Warden <mwarden at gmail.com> wrote:
> * If exec mgmt is bringing you in to establish procedures, there needs
> to be some kind of clear communication of that to the team. You're a
> nobody to this team, and they need to know you have authority from
> upstairs and this wasn't just your idea and isn't just you trying to
> make a name for yourself. (That said, in my opinion it is best to let
> this establish authority as a foundation and then try to catch the
> flies with honey)

One thing I meant to add here... if needed, you can sparingly use
reporting to encourage compliance in certain areas where there frankly
is no chance of a Kumbayah moment. Particularly if the reason for the
report is more than "I'm telling on you" (i.e., there is a legitimate
reason to run it to make sure unchecked-in code isn't lost or
something), it can be effective in getting the team to self-police.
Too much reporting is the same as no reporting, though.

--
Matt Warden
http://mattwarden.com