[thelist] tcp connections / load average

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Wed May 30 23:20:48 CDT 2012

tcp 0 0     174.121.xxx.xxx:80     $ip_address:58530      TIME_WAIT -
tcp 0 0     174.121.xxx.xxx:80     $ip_address:58532      TIME_WAIT -

The load average skyrocketed (>100) so I checked a log file and found a ton of tcp connections from the same address ($ip_address). When this happens I commonly check Project Honeypot and can track them to comment spammers, mail harvestors, etc.

In this case, nothing glaring shows. What else might I check to see if this is, indeed, the source and an unwanted visitor?

Bob