[thelist] progressive download vs streaming server

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Sun Jul 8 16:58:03 CDT 2012

On 07/06/2012 11:24 PM, Anthony Baratta wrote:
> On 7/6/2012 9:39 PM, Bob Meetin wrote:
>> I'm trying to understand a problem with some rather large videos not progressively downloading, .mv4, as expected.
>
> FYI - JWPLayer says they don't support progressive:
>
> JW Player supports various protocols for streaming video, instead of doing progressive downloads.
> http://www.longtailvideo.com/support/jw-player/jw-player-for-flash-v5/12539/supported-video-and-audio-formats
>
> I use the FlowPlayer and you might want to check out pseudo streaming:
>
> http://flowplayer.org/plugins/streaming/pseudostreaming.html
>
> More Documentation here:
>
> http://flowplayer.org/documentation/

Okay, I am weaving my way through this.  According to the flowplayer documentation there is some server configuration that needs to be done to make the pseudostreaming work. http://flowplayer.org/demos/plugins/streaming/index.html. I contacted hostgator and they are willing to help me with configuring the server. That's the good news.

There is a note that you may have to re-encode videos to a supported format, not much instruction, but okay.

However on the other side of the street, before moving forward I got curious so decided to test flowplayer's demo page (http://flowplayer.org/demos/standalone/plugins/streaming/index.html) with my mobile device, an iPad. Of course it fails. I get the message that :Flash version 10,1 or greater is required. You have no flash plugin installed. Click here to download greatest version. Click here takes you to Adobe and of course the device does not support Flash.

Am I missing something?

To get through the immediate need we're considering uploading the videos to youtube or vimeo and grabbing their embed code.

--
Bob